Whether you’re new to sports betting or a betting pro, our Sports Betting Strategy and Advice page is for you. You can get started with our 101 section — including 10 Sports Betting Tips for Beginners — or head to more advanced strategy — like Key Numbers When Betting Against the Spread — to learn more.
The world of team-based sports betting has many different ways to wager on a game, like spreads, moneylines, and totals. However, all of these categories involve wagering on a team. What if you’re not as familiar with an entire team, but are very knowledgeable about a specific player?
Sportsbooks offer not just team-based odds, but also prop bets available for certain players. Player prop bets are typically available for most major sports, though they may not be available for every player.
In this article, we explain what a player prop bet is as well as how to make such a bet at a sportsbook.
What is a Player Prop Bet?
A player prop bet is a wager on a specific player’s statistics or a particular outcome. Player props can be wagered on as part of a season-long bet or on a game-by-game basis.
What are Examples of a Player Prop Bet (Individual Games)?
Here are some examples of player prop bets one could find for individual games from each major sport:
NFL: How many passing touchdowns will Patrick Mahomes throw? (Over 2.5/ Under 2.5)
NBA: How many total points will Giannis Antetokounmpo score against the Pistons? (Over 28.5/ Under 28.5)
MLB: Who will have more total bases? (Aaron Judge/Jose Altuve)
NHL: Will Sidney Crosby score a goal? (Yes/No)
As you can see, each player prop bet reflects a player’s projected statistic or outcome for the game. Different sportsbooks vary in how many players have odds available to wager on. While some sportsbooks may offer odds on a larger number of players, others may offer a wider selection of odds just on the more popular players.
What are Examples of a Player Prop Bet (Season-long)?
Here are some examples of player prop bets one could find for an entire season from each major sport:
NFL: Christian McCaffrey – 2020-21 Regular Season Total Rushing and Receiving Yards (Over 2099.5/Under 2099.5)
NBA: Who will win the 2020-21 NBA MVP Award? (LeBron James +400, Kawhi Leonard +800….)
MLB: Who will hit the most regular-season home runs in 2020? (Mike Trout +950, Pete Alonso +1000…)
NHL: How many points will Alexander Ovechkin score in the regular season in 2020-21? (Over 85.5/Under 85.5)
One big difference between a season-long and single-game player prop bet is the potential payouts. With a season-long prop bet such as who will win an MVP award, there is potential for big returns on your bet given the amount of variables that go into predicting such a bet. However, season-long bets that come in an over/under format typically pay out the same odds as an individual game bet would.
How Do I Make a Player Prop Bet?
On a mobile device, follow these steps:
- Log into your sportsbook account
- Go to the sport/game you wish to bet on
- Look for an option that says “More Wagers” or “Player Props”
- Find the player prop you wish to bet on and click on your choice for the correct side of the wager
- Enter your wager amount
- Click “confirm bet”
Making a player prop bet in person at a sportsbook is just as easy. Follow these steps:
- Familiarize yourself with the player prop bets available from that particular sportsbook. This can be done by reading any betting sheets they have available, or by using their app on your mobile device while you are at the sportsbook.
- Approach the cashier and tell them the game you wish to wager on
- Tell the cashier you would like to make a “Player prop bet”
- Identify the specific prop and the side you wish to wager on
- Tell the cashier your wager amount
- Hand the cashier your money
- Take your betting ticket and secure it in a safe place