It might not have been the first state to implement legal sports wagering after the fall of PASPA, but New Jersey has done the best job of taking the proverbial ball and running with it. The Garden State has surpassed even the loftiest of expectations since introducing both brick-and-mortar and online sports betting last year, offering players a wide variety of sportsbook options across the state.
Here’s a look at the best reviews and offers New Jersey has for new sports bettors.
5 Best-Ranked New Jersey Sportsbooks 2022
The following sportsbooks are at the top of the heap regarding different options you may be looking for, depending on your goals/experience in the sports betting arena.
- Best Sportsbooks for Major Sports: FanDuel, DraftKings
- Best Sportsbook for Other Sports: BetMGM
- Best Sportsbook for Odds: PointsBet
- Best Sportsbooks for Overall Usability: DraftKings, FanDuel
- Best Sportsbooks for Player Rewards: Caesars
New Jersey Betting At-A-Glance
A quick overview of how sports betting became legal and how it works.
- New Jersey first legalized sports betting in 2012, which ignited the lawsuits that eventually led to a lift of the federal ban on gambling.
- Anyone 21 years of age or older may place legal wagers.
- You must be in the state of New Jersey to place a bet there.
- You can’t be a member of any gambling self-exclusion lists.
- Wagering on professional and college sports. However, betting on in-state collegiate programs or events taking place in New Jersey is prohibited.
- No betting on high school sports or on events in which the majority of event participants are under 18 years of age.
- Entertainment bets such as election betting or betting on the weather are not approved. Bets on awards shows, however, are approved.
- Licenses for casinos and racetracks cost $100,000 at issue.
- Internet gambling licenses cost $400,000 plus an additional $250,000 for responsible gaming fees.
- Casinos pay an 8.5% tax on land-based wagers and 13% on online ones.
- All sports bets are subject to 0.25% in federal taxes.
Types of Wagers Available in New Jersey
New Jersey sportsbooks will offer a wide range of bet types, including (but not limited to):
- Straight bets
- Single-game bets
- Teaser Bets
- Prop bets
Sports Available to Wager on in New Jersey
A wide variety of sports are available for bettors in New Jersey.
- Auto racing (NASCAR, Formula 1, IndyCar)
- Australian Rules Football
- Baseball (Major League Baseball, NCAA, Nippon Professional League in Japan and KBO League in South Korea, World Baseball Classic, Chinese Professional League)
- Basketball (NBA, Division 1 NCAA men’s and women’s basketball, WNBA, FIBA World Cup, EuroCup, EuroLeague, NBA Draft, and several foreign leagues)
- Bowling (PBA)
- Boxing (IBF/WBA/WBC/WBO)
- Football (NFL, FBS NCAA football, Canadian Football League)
- Golf (PGA, LPGA, European Tour, Champions Tour)
- Hockey (NHL, NCAA, several foreign leagues)
- Lacrosse (NCAA and Major League Lacrosse)
- Mixed Martial Arts (UFC, Bellator, Professional Fighters League)
- Olympics (Winter and Summer Games)
- Rugby League and Rugby Union
- Soccer (Major League Soccer, English Premier League, Spanish La Liga, Italy Serie A, German Bundesliga, Europa, UEFA Champions League)
- Softball (NCAA)
- Tennis (Association of Tennis Players men’s, Women’s Tennis Association)
Most Popular Sports Teams to Wager on in New Jersey
New Jersey only has one professional team in the four major sports, but plenty of rooting interests exist.
- NFL: New York Jets, New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles
- NBA: New York Knicks, Brooklyn Nets, Philadelphia 76ers
- MLB: New York Mets, New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies
- NHL: New Jersey Devils, New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers
- MLS: NJ/NY Gotham FC
Sports Betting Interests
More State Overviews
Indiana Sports Betting
Pennsylvania Sports Betting
New Jersey Sports Betting
New York Sports Betting
Delaware Sports Betting
West Virginia Sports Betting
Nevada Sports Betting
Virginia Sports Betting
Michigan Sports Betting
Tennessee Sports Betting