Sports betting has taken off in the Keystone State – and it’s just getting started. With Pennsylvania having implemented online sports betting, the state can expect a major boost in sports gambling revenue, with several sportsbooks already taking mobile action.
Here are the six providers already operating in Pennsylvania:
- FanDuel Sportsbook
- FoxBet Sportsbook
- Kambi Sportsbook
- Scientific Games Sportsbook
- William Hill Sportsbook
Pennsylvania Sports Books
|CASINO/RACETRACK||SPORTSBOOK PROVIDER||LAUNCH DATE||MOBILE STATUS||OFFERS/PROMOTIONS|
|HOLLYWOOD CASINO AT PENN NATIONAL||WILLIAM HILL||NOVEMBER 16, 2018||PLANNED||COMING SOON|
|PARX CASINO||KAMBI||JANUARY 8, 2019||ACTIVE||COMING SOON|
|RIVERS CASINO||KAMBI||DECEMBER 13, 2018||ACTIVE||COMING SOON|
|SOUTH PHILADELPHIA TURF CLUB||KAMBI||JANUARY 17, 2019||PLANNED||COMING SOON|
|SUGARHOUSE CASINO||KAMBI||DECEMBER 15, 2018||ACTIVE||100% Deposit Match up to $250|
|HARRAHS PHILADELPHIA||SCIENTIFIC GAMES||JANUARY 22, 2019||PLANNED||COMING SOON|
|VALLEY FORGE CASINO||FANDUEL||MARCH 17, 2019||ACTIVE||Risk-Free Bet up to $500|
|VALLEY FORGE RACE AND SPORTSBOOK||KAMBI||MARCH 12, 2019||—||COMING SOON|
|PRESQUE ISLE DOWNS||BETAMERICA||JULY 24, 2019||PLANNED||COMING SOON|
|THE MEADOWS CASINO||DRAFTKINGS (VIA PENN)||OCTOBER 10, 2019||PLANNED||Risk-Free Bet up to $500|
|MOHEGAN SUN POCONO||UNIBET||SEPTEMBER 24, 2019||ACTIVE||COMING SOON|
|MOUNT AIRY CASINO RESORT||FOXBET SPORTSBOOK||SEPTEMBER 12, 2019||ACTIVE||COMING SOON|
Pennsylvania Sports Betting History
The state was well-positioned to be one of the first in America to offer legalized sports betting options, but took a while to get off the ground. Pennsylvania put together a comprehensive gaming package that featured sports betting as the centerpiece back in October 2017, a full seven months before the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) was unconstitutional, clearing a path for legalized sports wagering.
The main hurdle for the casinos? Prohibitive costs to get into the party; Pennsylvania demanded a $10 million licensing fee to go along with a 36% tax (34% on gross gaming revenue, plus a two-percent local share assessment tax). It took two months before any casino proceeded with an application, which is limited to the state’s 12 land-based casinos/racetracks.
However, once Pennsylvania casinos and racetracks did get the go-ahead, they wasted no time putting their sportsbooks in place. William Hill was the first to land, aligning with Hollywood Casino at Penn National for a November launch. Kambi has been the most active sportsbook in the state, operating at five different locations within Pennsylvania.
Pennsylvania Sports Betting at a Glance
Here’s what you need to know about Pennsylvania’s current sports betting landscape:
- In addition to the 36% tax all operators face, they are also required to pay a 0.25% excise tax on their total handle revenue.
- Hollywood Casino took in $1.4 million in wagers in November 2018, while earning just over 500K in revenue. Rivers Casino and Sugarhouse Casino came on board the following month, and the three sportsbooks combined to take in $16.2 million in handle and $3.2 million in total revenue for the month.
- Through the end of March 2019, Pennsylvania sportsbooks have brought in over $108 million in handle for the calendar year, earning more than $10 million in revenue over that span – including a record $5.5 million in March.
Pennsylvania Sports Betting FAQs
Where can I place a legal sports wager in Pennsylvania?
You can make a sports bet at any of the following casinos:
- Harrahs Philadelphia, 777 Harrah’s Blvd., Chester, PA, 19013
- Hollywood Casino at Penn National Racetrack, 777 Hollywood Blvd., Grantville, PA, 17028
- The Meadows Casino, 210 Racetrack Rd., Washington, PA, 15301
- Mohegan Sun Pocono (1280 PA-315, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702)
- Mount Airy Casino Resort (312 Woodland Rd., Mt. Pocono, PA, 18344)
- Parx Casino and Racing, 2999 Street Rd., Bensalem, PA, 19020
- Presque Isle Downs, 8199 Perry Hwy., Erie, PA, 16509
- Rivers Casino Pittsburgh, 777 Casino Dr., Pittsburgh, PA, 15212
- South Philadelphia Turf Club, 700 Packer Ave., Philadelphia, PA, 19148
- SugarHouse Casino, 1001 N. Delaware Ave,, Philadelphia, PA, 19125
- Valley Forge Casino Resort, 1160 1st Ave., King of Prussia, PA, 19406
Will other brick-and-mortar locations be offering sports betting in Pennsylvania?
Two Pennsylvania casinos have yet to side with a sportsbook – Sands Casino Resort and Lady Luck Casino.
In the case of Sands Bethlehem – the second-highest earning casino in the state – it might simply be a matter of waiting for the ownership dust to settle after the property was sold to the Poarch Band of Creek Indians for $1.3 billion last year. Once that deal is finalized, it’s possible Sands will pursue a license.
Lady Luck is owned and operated by Churchill Downs, which has already secured a sports betting license for Presque Isle Downs. The sky-high cost of a license in Pennsylvania – both the eight-figure fee and the 36% tax – might just dissuade Churchill Downs from pursuing a second one.
How is sports betting regulated in Pennsylvania?
The Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board is responsible for regulating and monitoring sports betting within the state. You can find the complete list of sports betting rules and regulations here.
What kinds of sports wagers can I make at Pennsylvania casinos?
Pennsylvania sportsbooks offer a wide range of bet types, including (but not limited to):
- Straight wagers
- Totals wagers (Over/Under)
- Moneyline wagers
- Prop wagers
- Futures wagers
What sports can I wager on at Pennsylvania casinos?
As with the majority of states that have legalized sports betting to date, Pennsylvania casinos provide bettors with a wide selection of sports to bet on, including:
- Professional and college football
- Professional and college basketball
- Professional hockey
- Professional baseball
- Auto Racing
More State Overviews
- Delaware Sports Betting
- Indiana Sports Betting
- Nevada Sports Betting
- New Jersey Sports Betting
- New York Sports Betting
- West Virginia Sports Betting