Over the next several weeks, we’ll provide comprehensive betting previews for every major event ahead of the 2020 Summer Games in Tokyo, which will run from July 23 – August 8.
The Olympics are finally upon us after a year delay in which it was called into question throughout if they would even happen. With sports betting as popular (and legal) as it’s ever been, sportsbooks are lining up to offer odds across all major sports, and beach volleyball has not been left out.
One of the most popular sports involved year after year, we’ve seen the likes of Kerri Walsh and Misty May come through and take the entire Olympics by storm. Does a duo of the like exist this year?
Let’s take a closer look.
Schedule of Events
- July 23-24: Men’s and women’s pool games
- Aug 4-5: Men’s and women’s semifinals
- Aug 5-6: Men’s and women’s bronze- and gold-medal games
Why Should I Bet On This?
One of the most watchable events of the Olympics each year, beach volleyball has a similar betting format and rules as tennis and is a very consumable product. If you like to bet the United States, the women have two teams inside the top four in odds to win it all
5 Things You Absolutely Need to Know
Women’s beach volleyball celebrates its 25-year anniversary of being in the games, debuting in Atlanta in 1996
Experts say this is the deepest field in women’s beach volleyball history, as there is no clear cut favorite with better odds than 4/1
On the men’s, Jake Gibb (45) is set to become the oldest beach volleyball to ever compete in an Olympics.
The aforementioned Walsh (and partner Brooke Sweat) failed to qualify for the games, as Walsh will miss the Olympics for the first time since her debut in 2000
Canada’s Sarah Pavan and Melissa Humana-Paredes are the #1 ranked pairing in the world on the women’s side
- Agatha Bednarczuk & Duda Santos Lisboa (BRA): +430
- Sarah Pavan & Melissa Humana-Paredes (CAN): +550
- Alix Klineman & April Ross (USA): +600
- Kelly Claes & Sarah Sponcil (USA): +650
- Anders Mol & Christian Sorum (NOR): +170
- Cherif Younousse & Ahmed Tijan (QAT): +470
- Oleg Stoyandovskiy & Viacheslav Krasilnikov (ROC): +650
The Live Underdogs
- Taliqua Clancy & Mariafe Artacho Del Solar (AUS): +850
- Nina Betschart & Tanja Huberli (SUI): +1100
- Piotr Kantor & Bartosz Losiak (POL): +1100
- Evandro Oliveira & Bruno Oscar Schmidt (BRA): +1100
- Ana Patricia Ramos & Rebecca Cavalcanti (BRA): +1300
- Margareta Kozuch & Laura Ludwig (GER): +1300
- Joana Heidrich & Anouk Verge-Depre (SUI): +1400
- Alison Cerutti & Alvaro Morais Fihlo (BRA): +1400
- Alexander Brouwer & Robert Meeuwsen (NED): +1900
- Paolo Nicolai & Daniele Lupo (ITA): +1900
Men: Anders Mol & Christian Sorum (NOR): +170
Noway’s Anders Molls and Christian Sorum are favorites in this tournament and for good reason. The world #1s have won 12 straight matches ahead of this tournament, winning Gold in Cancun on the World Tour at the end of April. In that tournament, they saw much of the competition they will here in Japan and made fairly light work of them.
Expect a similar result here.
Women: Alix Klineman & April Ross (USA): +600
The #2 ranked duo in the world, Klineman and Ross, have been together since 2018 and have already placed first and third in two World Tournaments. Ross has previous Olympics experience, securing a silver medal in 2012 and a bronze in 2016 with Walsh. She has also been named USA Volleyball’s Beach Player of the Year eight times and is one of the top players in the world.
Her partner in Japan, Klineman, is a 6’5″ former indoor player who was recently named USA Volleyball’s Female Beach Player of the Year the last time they had a full season in 2019.
More 2020 Olympic Betting Previews
- Women’s Soccer Preview
- Men’s Soccer Preview
- Women’s Basketball Preview
- Men’s Basketball Preview
- Table Tennis Preview
Whether you’re new to sports betting or a betting pro, our How To Bet and Sports Betting Strategy and Advice pages are for you. You can get started with our Sports Betting 101 Section — including 10 Sports Betting Tips for Beginners — or head to more advanced sports betting strategy — like Key Numbers When Betting Against the Spread — to learn more.