If I told you before the season that Week 5 would feature the matchup between Gardner Minshew and Kyle Allen, you would probably respond with, “who?” But this is the reality, and “Minshew Mania” is in full force while Allen quietly puts together wins in absence of Cam Newton. With two talented defenses and two young quarterbacks featured in this game, it should be a close one in Charlotte.
Jaguars vs Panthers Odds and Info
All odds taken from FanDuel Sportsbook.
- Opening Lines: CAR -3.5, O/U 41.0
- Moneyline: JAC (+168) | CAR (-196)
- Spread: JAC +3.5 (-110) | -3.5 CAR (-110)
- Total: 41 — Over: (-110) | Under: (-110)
- Location: Bank of America Stadium — Charlotte, NC
- Start Time: 1 pm ET
- Coverage: CBS
- Jacksonville Jaguars: QB Gardner Minshew (Q), CB Jalen Ramsey (Q), LB D.J. Alexander (Q), S Ronnie Harrison (Q), LB Josh Allen (Q), DE Lerentee McCray (Q), DE Dawuane Smoot (Q)
- Carolina Panthers: WR Chris Hogan (IR), QB Cam Newton (Out), S Eric Reid (Q), LB Bruce Irvin (Q), G Trai Turner (Q), OT Greg Little (Q), CB Donte Jackson (Q), DE Brian Burns (Q)
After being thrust into the starting role due to a Nick Foles’ injury, sixth-round rookie Gardner Minshew has taken the league by storm. After losing by a point in his first start against Houston, Minshew has led the Jaguars to two straight wins. Last week, he led his team down the field with less than two minutes left for the win. While the offense is beginning to pick up with the rookie taking snaps, the defense really struggled last week, with star cornerback Jalen Ramsey sitting out. They gave up 303 yards and three touchdowns to Joe Flacco, while only turning him over once. They also failed to get pressure, never sacking the veteran. If Jacksonville is unable to get pressure again this week, it could be a long day.
Getting pressure has not been a problem for Carolina, who is tied for a league-high 18 sacks. This pressure has also led to forcing four interceptions, which is tied for fifth in the league. This defensive philosophy is bringing pressure, along with playing it safe offensively, has been a recipe for success, leading to back-to-back wins. The victories have come with a switch at quarterback, with Kyle Allen filling in for the injured Cam Newton. Allen has completed over 70 percent of his passes in both starts, throwing four touchdowns without giving the ball away. All four scores came in the first start, but he was able to hang on for the 16-10 win over Houston last week, throwing for 232 yards and allowing the offense to flow through star running back Christian McCaffrey.
- Jacksonville is 4-2 against the spread (ATS) in its last six games.
- The total has hit the under in five of Jacksonville’s last seven games.
- The total has hit the under in six of Carolina’s last nine games.
- Carolina is 4-8 ATS in its last 12 games.
- The all-time series between these two teams is tied, 3-3.
- Last Meeting: September 13, 2015 — The Panthers defeated the Jaguars, 20-9, at EverBank Field.
All odds taken from FanDuel Sportsbook.
First Half Total: Under 20.5 (-125)
With neither quarterback lighting up the scoreboards and both defenses possessing the talent and the ability to pressure the quarterback, I expect a slow start in this one. Both teams average nine first-half points scored, with only three first-half touchdowns being scored by both teams. Over the past two games, Carolina has given up an average of 6.5 first-half points, while Jacksonville has given up an average of 8.5. There’s no reason to think the trend doesn’t continue.
I feel wrong picking against Gardner Minshew, but the Panthers are the better all-around team and they have home-field advantage. This game comes down to which team can get pressure on the opposing inexperienced quarterback. Carolina has gotten pressure more consistently, and even if Jacksonville brings the heat in Week 6, Kyle Allen has arguably the best blitz beater in the game in Christian McCaffrey.
Check out our other NFL Sports Betting Guides for Week 5
Atlanta Falcons vs Houston Texans NFL Sports Betting Guide
Minnesota Vikings vs New York Giants NFL Sports Betting Guide
Buffalo Bills vs. Tennessee Titans NFL Sports Betting Guide
Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs. New Orleans Saints NFL Sports Betting Guide
Arizona Cardinals vs. Cincinnati Bengals NFL Sports Betting Guide
New York Jets vs Philadelphia Eagles NFL Sports Betting Guide
Oakland Raiders vs Chicago Bears NFL Sports Betting Guide
Baltimore Ravens vs Pittsburgh Steelers NFL Sports Betting Guide
Indianapolis Colts vs Kansas City Chiefs NFL Sports Betting Guide
New England Patriots vs. Washington Redskins NFL Sports Betting Guide
Denver Broncos vs Los Angeles Chargers NFL Sports Betting Guide
Green Bay Packers vs Dallas Cowboys NFL Sports Betting Guide
Cleveland Browns vs San Francisco 49ers NFL Sports Betting Guide