The Carolina Panthers are a missed field goal away from potentially being 6-5 heading into Week 13. After a disappointing twist of fate in last week’s 34-31 loss to the New Orleans Saints, Carolina will regroup and attempt to get back on track this weekend. The Panthers can and should get back to .500 with a win over the Washington Redskins but this figures to be a bit of a tipping point for them. Lose this game and questions about quarterback Kyle Allen and maybe even head coach Ron Rivera will grow louder. While they’re not exactly playing for the postseason anymore, this game is quite vital for the direction of their franchise.
- Opening Line: Carolina -10
- Current Line: Carolina -10
- Over/Under: 39.5
- Location: Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Start Time: 1:00 PM ET
- Last Meeting: Redskins 23 vs. Panthers 17 (10/14/18)
Washington needed a late turnover and field goal to rally for a 19-16 win over the Detroit Lions at home last weekend. Rookie quarterback Dwyane Haskins earned his first career NFL win, even if his numbers weren’t very impressive at all. He completed just 44.8% of his passes while throwing no touchdowns with one interception. The Redskins have leaned heavily on their rushing attack with Haskins under center as Adrian Peterson has averaged 123 scrimmage yards per game over his last three contests. He should have a substantial workload again this week. The question is can Washington run the ball effectively and with consistency against the Panthers? If they can’t rely on the ground game, it could leave Haskins exposed against the league’s second-best pass rush (41 sacks so far). Haskins has already taken 17 sacks on just 108 pass attempts.
Meanwhile, Kyle Allen threw for 256 yards and three touchdowns in last week’s loss to the Saints. Running back Christian McCaffrey had 133 scrimmage yards and two touchdowns in that loss. By this point in the season, we know what we can expect from the Carolina offense. The biggest issue is what to expect from a defense that has allowed 31.6 points per game over the last five games. The Panthers are too talented on that side of the football to struggle again versus this Washington offense. Look for them to lock in and respond with one of their best performances of the season in Week 13.
- Washington is 1-4 on the road this season
- Redskins are 0-6 ATS in their last six Week 13 games
- Washington is 2-5 ATS in last 7 games on grass
- Panthers are 7-2 ATS in their last 9 games after allowing 30+ points
- Carolina is 4-0 ATS in its last 4 games after allowing more than 350 total yards
- Panthers are 25-1 SU in last 26 games when favored by 7 points or more
As bad as Carolina has been of late, this team is far too talented to get beat at home against an inferior Redskins side. The Panthers can move the football effectively with McCaffrey and Allen on offense. If they can avoid the turnovers that have cost them at points throughout the season, Carolina should be able to win this game handily. Take the Panthers to win and cover in this one.
Check out our other NFL Sports Betting Guides for Week 13
- Philadelphia Eagles at Miami Dolphins (+10)
- New York Jets at Cincinnati Bengals (+3)
- San Francisco 49ers at Baltimore Ravens (-5.5)
- Cleveland Browns at Pittsburgh Steelers (+2)
- Green Bay Packers at New York Giants (+6.5)
- Tennessee Titans at Indianapolis Colts (-2)
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Jacksonville Jaguars (+2.5)
- Los Angeles Chargers at Denver Broncos (+3)
- Los Angeles Rams at Arizona Cardinals (+3)
- Oakland Raiders at Kansas City Chiefs (-10)
- New England Patriots at Houston Texans (+3)
- Minnesota Vikings at Seattle Seahawks (-2.5)